If you know what is VLookup, I bet you already know to apply it in Microsoft Excel. It is useful when you have a main data sheet, which 1 of the column need to refer to another data sheet. Example, on the main data sheet contain product id, and you want to display product name on the same main data sheet, but the master product information is on separate data sheet.
The limitation of VLookup in Excel is, the first column of the referred data sheet is always the key.
You can do that in APITable, with any column. Let’s use a claim form as an example. Assuming you have a claim sheet, with employee id on it, it will be good that the next column showing the employee name, as I don’t think you can remember all employee by their employee id. In this example, let’s assume that we have 2 data sheets:
- Claims data sheet (which contain employee id and the claims from employee)
- Employee data sheet (which contain the master employee information)
Here is the actions in APITable:
1. On the Claims data sheet, create another column with column type “Magic Link”, and select the Employee data sheet to link to.
2. Remember to switch on the option for multiple records, that indicate 1 employee having multiple claims.
3. On the same data sheet, create another column with column type “Rollup”, and select the “Magic Link” field you created just now, and display as Name.
4. Now, you are basically done, just select any employee as claimant, and you shall see the name display at another column.